Re: [xsl] namespaces declarations treated as boilerplate code

Subject: Re: [xsl] namespaces declarations treated as boilerplate code
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:37:25 +0100
2008/8/13 Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Given two stylesheets with the same namespaces defined at the
>> top where one imports the other - what happens when the
>> module is compiled?
>
> Entirely implementation-defined.
>
> In Saxon, any instruction/expression that needs access to the namespace
> context at run-time will (at compile time) make a copy of the namespace
> context and save it on the expression tree. It's true that there is
> therefore a slight overhead in having unused namespaces present in the
> stylesheet - but I doubt it is measurable.
>
> I can't quite see how import comes into this, however.

I thought that for an import/include tree of stylesheets that
conflicting prefixes/URIs would have to be combined in some way... but
they only apply to the file they are in don't they... (a bit of an
a-ha moment for me here)

I forget that namespaces work at the XML file level - you can't just
define your namespaces somewhere in your import tree and expect them
to be available to the stylesheets in that tree (like variables and
named templates for example)

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com