[xsl] using xsl:result-document in a non-list situation

Subject: [xsl] using xsl:result-document in a non-list situation
From: "Mark Wilson" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 11:28:49 -0700
All of the examples for using <xsl:result-document> to produce multiple files (at least those that I've seen) write to a new file each time they encounter a new instance of a controlling element structure in a 'list' and use "position()" to help name the file. What technique do I apply to a document containing a <List> of <Items> such as the one shown below? Here the controlling element is not simply another <Year> element, but <Year> elements with differing content: 1998, 1999 and so on, with each year repeated within the source document many times. Ideally, the output would be a series of files, one for each different <Year> content (1998.xml, 1999.xml) and each sorted internally by <IssueNumber> and <Page>.

I have not been able to see how the stylesheet should be constructed. Any hints would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Source example:
<List>