[xsl] Java XSLT transformers and document('') problem

Subject: [xsl] Java XSLT transformers and document('') problem
From: LS <leonid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 09:10:47 +0600
I have strange behavior with XSLT and Java (tested on Xalan and Saxon):

when I create transformer from XSLT file, function document('') works as I expect:

document('')/* -> xsl:template
count(document('')/*) -> 1

when I create transformer from Domsource, modify it (add some templates, remove others) - something breaks function document(''):

document('')/* -> ?
count(document('')/*) -> 0

all works well when I write modified XSL to file and create transformer from that file
but dumping modified XSL to string and create transformer from Streamsourse again works with errors

Is there any way to create transformation on-the fly and use it without temporary dumping it to file?
My question depends only on document('') function, because all of the others seems like ok