Re: [xsl] Finding paths in Visio XML exports - recursion question

Subject: Re: [xsl] Finding paths in Visio XML exports - recursion question
From: Steven Davies <xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:48:53 +0100
Michael Kay wrote:
This basically does the same as the three loops but in one statement - however, it now takes a very long time to run - over a minute as opposed to about a second. This isn't a major issue as it won't be run very frequently but do you know why this performance hit might have happened?

Questions about performance can only be answered with knowledge of a specific XSLT processor.

I tried running your sample using Saxon 9.1. It ran in 125ms, but the output
was more-or-less empty.

That's possibly because your stylesheet only processes shapes satisfying
[v:Label='Shape Reference' and v:Value='1'], and that label doesn't appear
in your source data. On the other hand, if I remove that predicate, it runs
even faster and still produces no output.

Yeah, the stylesheet I uploaded is the one I'm actually using whereas the Visio file is just a mockup which doesn't have the right properties and suchlike.

I just timed it again using Saxon this time and it runs over my actual data in just under 25 seconds so it looks like it's an issue with libxslt. I'm actually using Apache fop now to generate a PDF which is even slower (1m 25 ish) so it's definitely implementation dependent! Saxon is remarkably quick for a Java app ;-)

Steve