Re: [xsl] Transformer adds unwanted newlines

Subject: Re: [xsl] Transformer adds unwanted newlines
From: Robert Koberg <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 09:06:48 -0400
On Oct 3, 2008, at 8:22 AM, John English wrote:

David Carlisle wrote:
Anyone got any ideas what I can do about this?
but ignoring indent=no sounds less likely, are you sure you don't have
another xsl:output somewhere, or that you are not outputing an XMl tree
that is then being serialised by some other JDK methord rather than
being serialised by XSLT?

No other xsl:output, and all I do in the transform is this:

 SAXParserFactory spf = SAXParserFactory.newInstance();
 spf.setNamespaceAware(true);
 SAXParser parser = spf.newSAXParser();
 reader = parser.getXMLReader();
 stf = (SAXTransformerFactory) TransformerFactory.newInstance();
 String s = serializeTree();
 System.out.println("DEBUG: " + s);     // <------- DEBUG

But this really has nothing to do with the transformation (other than being the source :) ).

InputSource input = new InputSource(new StringReader(s)); filter = stf.newXMLFilter(new StreamSource(stylesheet)); filter.setParent(reader); StreamResult result = new StreamResult(response.getWriter()); Transformer transformer = stf.newTransformer(); SAXSource transformSource = new SAXSource(filter, input); transformer.transform(transformSource, result);

Perhaps you can simply add:

<xsl:strip-space elements="*"/>

It is a performance hit, but probably not more than replaceAll

best,
-Rob

At the point where the DEBUG output is, the serialized tree is as I've
described it; the extra newlines appear in the output also as described.

In the meantime I have kludged up a workaround when I serialise the
tree:

 if (tagName.equals("pre")) {
   d = d.replaceAll("<br[^>]*>","\n");
 }

This works but it offends my sensibilities!

Thanks,

John English              | mailto:je@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
School of Computing & MIS | "Those who don't know their history
University of Brighton    |  are condemned to relive it" (Santayana)