Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 processor signalling error, for type errors

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT 2.0 processor signalling error, for type errors
From: "Mukul Gandhi" <gandhi.mukul@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 19:09:07 +0530
Hi Mike,
   Thanks for your reply to my questions. I have some more questions, please ...

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 5:31 PM, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> most processors actually compile down to some intermediate
> representation which is then interpreted by some kind of virtual machine:

In case of Saxon, would you say that there is some intermediate
representation? I think, the user (or, programmer) has the view that
he/she is just running a XSLT program in one pass.

> XSLT is essentially dynamically-typed (meaning type-checking isn't done until
> runtime) except that there's provision for optional optimistic static typing
> - which means you can report a compile-time error

In case of XSLT, how do we differentiate between compile time and runtime?

I might guess, that prior to creation of the result XDM tree it's
compilation. Does XSLT 2.0 spec define compilation and runtime phases
for XSLT?

--
Regards,
Mukul Gandhi