Re: [xsl] Single transformation using XSLT on-the-fly

Subject: Re: [xsl] Single transformation using XSLT on-the-fly
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:37:01 -0400
At 2008-10-18 20:22 +0200, Giacomo wrote:
Using a *single* transformation, is there a way to create an XSLT 2.0
on-the-fly and apply it to a document? I tried many different ways, but
I think that's impossible because, even if I can save the XSLT in a
document (xsl:result-document), I can't include it at run-time.

The entire stylesheet is read and processed before any source tree nodes are acted on, therefore there is no chance for the output of the transformation to participate in the stylesheet tree *of* the transformation.

Of course you can do it in two passes, creating the second stylesheet with the first, but given your emphasis I gather you already knew that.

-- Upcoming XSLT/XSL-FO hands-on courses: Wellington, NZ 2009-01 Training tools: Comprehensive interactive XSLT/XPath 1.0/2.0 video Video sample lesson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrNjJCh7Ppg Video course overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTiodiij6gE G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07 http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc Legal business disclaimers: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal