[xsl] Possible to use a namespace in XSL for XML documents with no namespace?

Subject: [xsl] Possible to use a namespace in XSL for XML documents with no namespace?
From: "Dan Ochs" <dan.ochs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 17:54:04 -0400
I'm trying to figure out how/if I can use a namespace prefix in my XSL
for an XML document without a namespace. I want to do this to better
organize the XSL and code for the future when the XML data has
namespaces added to it.

The following XML and XSL hopefully illustrate what I'm trying to do,
but the XSL doesn't work as written.  In the example at the bottom of
this message, I would want to use the testns namespace and output "IT
WORKS!!!"  If it matters I'm using xalan 2.7.1 and the XML is being
sent in from another application so I don't have control over it.

Any help is appreciated!
dan

XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<root>
   <element>Some Text</element>
</root>

XSL:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform"; xmlns:testns="">
   <xsl:template match="/"><xsl:apply-templates/></xsl:template>

   <xsl:template match="testns:element">
     IT WORKS!!!
   </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>