Re: [xsl] Elements and functions available

Subject: Re: [xsl] Elements and functions available
From: Colin Paul Adams <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:23:05 +0100

    Jesper> I have tested the little used XSLT functions
    Jesper> element-available() and function-available() and made a
    Jesper> stylesheet that can create a report for most XSLT
    Jesper> processors, testing also for EXSLT extensions and Saxon
    Jesper> extensions.

    Jesper> I have made 8 reports available and a summary, "Elements
    Jesper> and functions available in XSLT processors",
    Jesper> http://www.xmlplease.com/elements-functions.

    Jesper> Feel free to suggest improvements.

That's a useful transformation.

You caught a bug in Gestalt - I had implemented xs:dateTime() as
fn:dateTime() - corrected now.

Your classification of the various EXSLT extensions as relevant or not
in an XSLT 2.0 environment is also helpful. I may well implement the
ones classified as relevant (unless W3C goes ahead and abolishes the
notion of a W3C standard by passing the so-called fifth edition of XML
1.0 - in that case I may well abandon it altogether -there is no point
in trying to implement a standard when the concept has been abolished).

It could be useful to add system-property() to - EXSLT actually define
a property for environment properties - although the documentation has
not been posted on the website (annoying - they just won't respond to
questions), so you have to search the mailling list archives to find
it.

Your inclusion of extension functions and instructions for saxon and
not for other processors though, is silly. You should either include
extensions for all processors known to you, or none at all.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire