Re: [xsl] Extracting Unique element names and attributes from a XML file [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Subject: Re: [xsl] Extracting Unique element names and attributes from a XML file [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]
From: Enrico.Raymund@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:40:32 +1100
> In 2.0 you can use distinct-values() or xsl:for-each-group, but it
> always good to learn this technique.

with  XSLT 2.0 using distinct-values and Saxon extensions (saxon:evaluate)
me and my colleague Nick Ardlie, just created this code below yesterday to
list all unique elements and attributes for each element:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<xsl:stylesheet version="2.0" xmlns:saxon="http://saxon.sf.net/";
    <xsl:output indent="yes" method="html"/>
    <xsl:variable name="ROOT" select="root()"/>
    <xsl:template match="/">
                <h1>Elements</h1>
                <ol>
                    <xsl:for-each select="distinct-values(//*/name())">
                        <xsl:sort order="ascending" select="."/>
                        <li>
                            <xsl:value-of select="."/>
                            <xsl:call-template name="LIST_ATTRIBUTES">
                                <xsl:with-param name="ELEMENT" select="."/>
                            </xsl:call-template>
                        </li>
                    </xsl:for-each>
                </ol>
    </xsl:template>
    <xsl:template name="LIST_ATTRIBUTES">
        <xsl:param name="ELEMENT"/>
        <xsl:variable name="XPATH_EXPR"
select="concat('$p1//*[name()=''',$ELEMENT,''']/@*/name()')"/>
        <xsl:if test="count(distinct-values(saxon:evaluate($XPATH_EXPR,
$ROOT))) &gt; 0">
            <h2>Attributes</h2>
            <ol>
                <xsl:for-each
select="distinct-values(saxon:evaluate($XPATH_EXPR, $ROOT))">
                    <xsl:sort order="ascending" select="."/>
                    <li>
                        <xsl:value-of select="."/>
                    </li>
                </xsl:for-each>
            </ol>
        </xsl:if>
    </xsl:template>
</xsl:stylesheet>

Enrico Raymundo

             "Andrew Welch"
             <andrew.j.welch@g
             mail.com>                                                  To
                                            xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
             28/10/2008 08:58               m

                                                                   Subject
             Please respond to              Re: [xsl] Extracting Unique
             xsl-list@xxxxxxxx              element names and attributes
              lberrytech.com                from a XML file
                                                           Protective Mark

> I need to list out all elements and attribute (unique) in a text file
> for mapping with other XML file.
>
> I am able to get all the elements and attributes but I am unable to
> achieve the uniqueness. Can any body help on this.

> <xsl:stylesheet xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";
version="1.0">

If you are stuck with 1.0 then you need to use a key:

<xsl:key name="names" match="*|@*" use="name()"/>

with

<xsl:for-each select="//*|//*/@*">
  <xsl:if test="generate-id(.) = generate-id(key('names', name(.))[1])">
    <xsl:value-of select="local-name()"/>

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com

Important Notice: If you have received this email by mistake, please advise the sender and delete the message and attachments immediately.  This email, including attachments, may contain confidential, sensitive, legally privileged and/or copyright information.  Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  DIAC respects your privacy and has obligations under the Privacy Act 1988.  The official departmental privacy policy can be viewed on the department's website at www.immi.gov.au. See: http://www.immi.gov.au/functional/privacy.htm