Re: [xsl] XQuery Updates in XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] XQuery Updates in XSLT
From: "Jesper Tverskov" <jesper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:32:32 +0100
I'm in love with the modified identity template that is the real XSLT.
But the problem is that the modified identity template has nothing to
do with an extremely common use case: the update of XML and its data.

The modified identity template does not recreate the original XML
declaration unless we do something extra to put it back in, or the
DOCTYPE declaration. CDATA sections are lost that is replaced by
escapes, character entities are expanded, default attributes are
copied to output from DTD, and a few other things. See my tutorial as
a reminder: http://www.xmlplease.com/identity-template.

If we don't get something similar to XQuery Updates as a feature also
in XSLT, this issue is going to be the first argument for why XSLT is
simply too far out to start learning unless you really need to apply
templates all the time.

At least it would be nice if Saxon's extension function,
saxon:query(), could make also XQuery Updates in XSLT possible when it
makes things so much easier or even possible.

Cheers,
Jesper