Re: [xsl] XQuery Updates in XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] XQuery Updates in XSLT
From: Liam Quin <liam@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 15:40:34 -0400
On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 08:58:33AM -0000, Joe Fawcett wrote:
> I normally learn by reading a book written by someone who understands the
> spec, Dr. Kay's XSLT books for example, and when I've mastered the basics
> use the spec if I have low-level queries that need answering.

Yes, Mike Kay's XSLT books are fabulous.

> This approach hasn't worked with XQuery yet, Amazon has no recent books on
> the subject, understandable given that the XQuery Update CR was only issued
> on 1 August 2008. Anyone know of any "in the pipeline"?

Amazon lists Priscilla Walmsley's 2007 book on XQuery.
I see also a book not yet available, by Ioana Manolescu and Yannis
Papakonstantinou.

The XQuery specification itself is one of W3C's more readable
specs (along with XSLT).  The update specification isn't yet
a Recommendation, and neither is the xpath 2 full text
specification, but XQuery is useful without waiting :-) and
for that matter I don't know if we'll see XSLT 2 processors with
full-text support.  Also, take a look at the XQuery use cases for
some examples. It's linked from www.w3.org/TR/ and also from
http://www.w3.org/Query/

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/