RE: [xsl] XSLT 2.1: ElementTest against several names?

Subject: RE: [xsl] XSLT 2.1: ElementTest against several names?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:13:56 -0000
>   There have been a few discussions about XSLT 2.1 in the
> past few weeks.  I have a further question about this.  Is
> there any plan to add the ability to have an ElementTest
> against several element names?
> (and equivalent for other KindTest that take a name)  Something like:
>
>     element(my:element|ns:elem)

No, there's no such proposal on the table.

I would have thought it likely, given a well-designed schema, that if it
makes sense for a function to accept either of these two types, they will
have some relationship in the schema. For example, they will be members of
the same substitition group, or they will have the same type. You should
then be able to refer to them generically using the substitution group name
or the type name.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/