Re: [xsl] selecting from sequences

Subject: Re: [xsl] selecting from sequences
From: Liam Quin <liam@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 12:27:55 -0500
On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 04:36:17PM -0000, Michael Kay wrote:

> Although it's clear from these responses that there are solutions to these
> requirements, I have always felt the need for  higher order operators to
> achieve this effect:
>
> $seq[>>EXP]    everything in $seq after the first item that satisfies EXP
> $seq[>>=EXP]   everything in $seq after and including -"-
> $seq[<<EXP]    everything in $seq before the first item that satisfies EXP
> $seq[<<=EXP]   everything in $seq before and including -"-

couldn't one get there with, say,
sequence-before(sequence, item+)
and the corresponding sequence-after,
by analogy to substring?

One could then write,
    sequence-before($sequence, $sequence[some-expr])

LISP people are thinking about car and cdr here... (head and tail in
Scheme) but LISP snad Scheme of course have the higher-order
capabilities to make those useful.

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/ * http://www.fromoldbooks.org/