Re: [xsl] XSLT - JOB OPPORTUNITIES

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT - JOB OPPORTUNITIES
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:31:14 -0500
Hi,

At 04:25 PM 12/23/2008, Vasu wrote:
>Looking for a C programming job, you will need to use your C skills for
>Something, e.g. Write networking code, device drivers, etc. Jobs are
>Always aiming on practical usage, not just on a specific technology.

Well, the job of a "job advertiser" becomes easy to first say "I Want a
developer that knows X-Language"
Then he probably will go around telling the "why" part of it.
Some adverts just Mention C-Developer for their on Going projects.. But it
is mandatory to express the technology first and the business next.
Typically the developer roles are advertised that way.

This is very true, but lamentable. It's putting the cart before the horse, and to me such a job listing is an indication of an organization that doesn't really know what it's doing. At best, the "human resources" people don't really know what the developers are doing. Or if they know, they're not very willing to say -- not a good sign. At worst, none of them really know.

I'm much more encouraged to see advertisements that say what the business is, and then specify the relevant technologies that the successful candidate for the job is likely to be familiar with.

Errr... This is not related to XSL at all :O

No, it isn't. I think the answer to the original question is "who knows", but also, "should we care?" I actually think we should care, but not because we care about job advertisements.

We should care because we care whether (a) organizations, and(b) their HR departments (or anyone who writes job advertisements) think of XSLT as something that should be advertised for. On the spectrum between, say, Java and Perl at one end, and HTML or even word processing apps or spreadsheets at the other (that is, the spectrum between technologies that require expert knowledge, and those that are fairly ubiquitous), where does XSLT fall?

I think it probably falls further over towards the expert-knowledge end, especially within certain niches. But I'd like to think that there is also a range of applications that are very well served by non-expert use of XSLT as a data-wrangling technology, in support of web sites or CMS systems or what have you, where it is just part of the toolkit.

Cheers,
Wendell