Re: [xsl] checking sequential element

Subject: Re: [xsl] checking sequential element
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:21:22 -0500
Hi,

Personally, I'd put the test on the citau element itself:

<xsl:template match="citau">
  <xsl:if test="not(following-sibling::*[1]/self::delim)">
    <xsl:message>citau does not followed by delim</xsl:message>
  </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

This has the following advantages:

* It expresses the requirement directly (a 'citau' must be followed by a 'delim')
and therefore more legibly
* It is more robust (it doesn't matter where the citau is; it doesn't
report a false positive if a 'citau' is not found; it doesn't fail
to report if two are found and one has a 'delim')

As so often, the theoretical and the practical advantages reflect one another.

Cheers,
Wendell

At 02:29 AM 12/31/2008, it was written:
I think, you should do

<xsl:template match="citref">
  <xsl:if test="not(citaug/citau/following-sibling::*[1]/self::delim)">
    <xsl:message>citau does not followed by delim</xsl:message>
  </xsl:if>
</xsl:template>

you were missing a 'not' and one missing level.