Re: [xsl] Two "Philisophical" questions about the language

Subject: Re: [xsl] Two "Philisophical" questions about the language
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:49:06 GMT
> To those questions I would add another one:
>  why "if" xpath 2.0 expression demands "else" part?

because an expression always has to return a value, I think the same is
true of most other languages that have an if expression (as opposed to
an if statement).

I suppose in theory it could be defined that an if with no else returns
() but then many things would not type check correctly.

An if statement is different you have the option of "doing nothing" so
it makes sense to have an xsl:if with no else.

David