RE: [xsl] XPath 2 (and hence XSLT 2) static typing at risk

Subject: RE: [xsl] XPath 2 (and hence XSLT 2) static typing at risk
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:31:40 -0000
Just to clarify the situation for XSLT 2.0, the specification does not
actually have any dependency on the formal semantics or on static typing -
essentially because we had neither the resources nor sufficient motivation
to define the static typing rules for XSLT constructs. The specification has
no reference to the formal semantics document (not even a non-normative
reference), so I believe that dropping the FS has no direct impact at all.
There is of course an indirect impact through the XPath 2.0 specification.

The XSLT 2.0 doesn't actually say whether it's required/allowed/prohibited
for "pessimistic static typing" to be used on the XPath expressions in a
stylesheet, but no current implementation attempts this and in my view the
result would be unusable.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/