Re: [xsl] Basics of XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Basics of XSLT
From: Manuel Souto Pico <manuel.souto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 12:08:07 +0100
Hi,

I only used two books about XSLT, the first one was a couple of years ago and I can't remember the title, but I couldn't make much out of it. The second one (by Michael Kay) I'm reading it now in my free time and I can say everything is as clear as can be for a full beginner like me with no formal background in computing. I feel thankful to Michael for that.

Cheers, Manuel

Michael Kay escribis:
Hi,I am having few very basic XSL questions.

Yes, we noticed. It's good that you have recognized that it's going to be difficult to get your code to work unless you have understood the basic concepts first.

But mailing lists and forums aren't a good way of acquiring this
information. I'm a firm believer that the best way to get yourself up to
speed on a new technology is to spend a day or two immersed in a good book.
I could give you one-liner answers to your questions below, but you really
need to read a few pages on each of these questions, which you will find in
the opening chapter of any decent XSLT reference book (including, of course,
my own.)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

1.Why XSLT is actually used?and what it is exactly?

My understanding is,it is HTML code only and XSLT can read XML file with more ease.So one should use XSLT.
We specity it using <xsl:output method="html"/> means there should be other output forms also.

2.I am using XPATH to pass arguments in my perl code.

my $results = $stylesheet->transform($source, XML::LibXSLT::xpath_to_string(args => "$in{'args'}",val => "1")); .
What is XPATH?and what is its significance?What this function "XML::LibXSLT::xpath_to_string" will do?

3. <xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";> Why this is required at start of every XSL file?

I think all the namespaces are defined there,all XSL elements refer to/use to this location.
Thanks and Regards,
Himanshu Padmanabhi