RE: [xsl] Display link text as a hyperlink

Subject: RE: [xsl] Display link text as a hyperlink
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 23:21:13 -0000
> Haven't used EXSLT. Does the processor have to have a
> built-in support for them, or is it possible to use some pure
> XSLT libraries? I'm running PHP, and I think PHP XSL is built
> on libxsl.

Some of the functions can be implemented as native XSLT templates (not the
same interface as a function but equivalent); others need processor-specific
support. What I meant was (a) check whether this function is already
implemented for your particular processor, and (b) if not, consider
implementing it as specified in EXSLT, rather than designing your own
specification.

> http://www.exslt.org/regexp/functions/replace/ seems to be
> the function, but as far as I understand, it replaces strings
> with strings. What about replacing strings with elements,
> i.e. link text with <a>? Is there an EXSLT example on this?

No, I don't think there's a function in EXSLT that handles this. It's quite
hard to do with a simple function, which is why XSLT 2.0 does it with a
custom instruction (xsl:analyze-string).

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/