Re: [xsl] Expanding Ranges

Subject: Re: [xsl] Expanding Ranges
From: Mukul Gandhi <gandhi.mukul@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 11:37:04 +0530
On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Ganesh Babu N <nbabuganesh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Mukul,
>
> I got the solution.

I find it surprising if the solution I proposed works as it is.

>> <xsl:value-of select="for $i in $start to $end return concat('fig', $i)"/>

I suspect if this will give the desired result.

If you see the grammar for a "for expression"
(http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/#id-for-expressions),

it doesn't allow something like, $x to $y (with the semantics of a
range. xsl:for-each allows this).

Saxon (ver, 9.1.0.2J) compiles the above for expression {for $i in
$start to $end return concat('fig', $i)} fine, but gives a blank
output. It seems, it considers _$start to $end_ as ExprSingle (ref:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath20/#doc-xpath-ExprSingle). It seems to me,
Saxon should give an error or a warning in this case.

I feel you should use the following code, instead:

<xsl:variable name="str" as="xs:string*">
    <xsl:for-each select="$start to $end">
       <xsl:value-of select="concat('fig', .)" />
    </xsl:for-each>
</xsl:variable>

<xsl:value-of select="$str" />

--