Re: [xsl] Compound filter in for-each

Subject: Re: [xsl] Compound filter in for-each
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 15:43:22 -0400
Alan,

At 02:47 PM 3/24/2009, you wrote:
Still working on XML derived from Google Earth KML. I want to filter on
particular ExtendedData/Data name and value combinations. Here is an
extract of relevant XML:
<Placemark>
<ExtendedData>
<Data name "sciencName">
<value>Euphrasia micrantha</value>
</Data>
<Data name "grid_ref">
<value>SN701822</value>
</Data>
<Data name "eng_name">
<value>An Eyebright</value>
</Data>
<Data name "rdb_status">
<value>Endangered</value>
</Data>
</ExtendedData>
</Placemark>
So I guess what I am looking for is something like:
<xsl:for-each select "Placemark/ExtendedData/Data[@name 'rdb_status'and value
'Endangered']">
- though this doesn't work (in XML Notepad I just get the unhelpful error message "Input string was not in a correct format.")

You might want

select="Placemark/ExtendedData/Data[@name='rdb_status'][.='Endangered']

which is effectively the same as

select="Placemark/ExtendedData/Data[@name='rdb_status' and .='Endangered']

But it's impossible to say absolutely without knowing more about what you haven't told us.

The "." in that expression is short for XPath "self::node()", which is to say a reference to the context node. So ".='Endangered'" is a test for whether the context node of the evaluation (viz., each Data element selected by the path) has the string value "Endangered".

Whether you use one predicate with an "and" operator to join your tests, or two predicates, doesn't make any practical difference here.

Cheers,
Wendell