Re: [xsl] Numbering new nodes using consecutive integers

Subject: Re: [xsl] Numbering new nodes using consecutive integers
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:59:24 -0400
Michael,

At 02:07 PM 3/27/2009, you wrote:
In general, I agree that this isn't really a job for xsl:number, whose
primary application is to generate numbers relative to the source
tree, not the result.

Yes, but how would you *ever* generate numbers relative to the result ?!

In one pass? By doing it the way David tried and Ken (may have) succeeded: reflecting the grouping/ordering logic directly in XPath (or XSLT functions and/or, ouch, template calls).

In other words, not by counting anything in the result, but rather by expressing algorithmically the number that will be correct for the thing when it is made for you, in the usual in-XSLT-everything-happens-at-once way of thinking.

(FWIW, the only reason I say Ken "may have" succeeded is that, knife in hand for my Gordian method, I didn't read into his solution deeply enough to validate it for myself.)

Cheers,
Wendell