Re: [xsl] When *not* to use XLST...

Subject: Re: [xsl] When *not* to use XLST...
From: Shawn Milochik <Shawn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 16:22:18 -0400
Ha ha, no I didn't write that. I doubt many on the list would
appreciate the XSLT-bashing, followed by this conclusion:

 "Now that we know XSLT is evil..."

The author then goes on to say what people should use instead.
However, I think the author isn't trying to be a jerk -- he's just
ignorant about XSLT. If I hadn't had the discussions I've had on this
list and I read the article and the code snippets he provided, I'd
probably never look at XSLT again. The problem I had (and I assume the
author has as well) is that I approached it as a simple markup
language that one can just pick up right away to transform XML. It's
not. One needs to take the time to learn the ins and outs, the syntax,
and the capabilities (so they don't just bitch that "XSLT can't do
what I want").

The problem (although it lies with me and not XSLT) is that now that
I've been educated by the kind folks here, I don't have the time or
motivation to take a couple of days (or however long it takes) to
study XSLT so that I can continue my project. No time because this is
something I'm doing for work, and no motivation because I can use the
tools I already know with ease.

Shawn