Re: [xsl] Please look at my mini-template

Subject: Re: [xsl] Please look at my mini-template
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 00:56:39 +0100
	<xsl:with-param name="right">
			<xsl:value-of select="substring($right, 3)"/>
	</xsl:with-param>

it's a comon mistake to use with-param or xsl:variable with conttent an
xsl:value-of but it's almst always better to instead do

	<xsl:with-param name="right" select="substring($right, 3)"/>

as apart from being easier to type it makes a string which is a
relatively lightweight object as opposed to a resul tree fragment
with a root node and a child text node with string value the string you
want, which is more expensive to build, and more expensive to use.

Probably, depending on your use case, I wouldn't have had a left
parameter and just output the string as you go along rather than
concatenating the result into left at each stage

<xsl:template name="hex2path">
        <xsl:param name="right"/>
        <xsl:choose>
            <xsl:when test="(string-length($right) > 2)">
                 <xsl:value-of select="concat(substring($right, 1, 2), '/')"/>
                <xsl:call-template name="hex2path">
        		<xsl:with-param name="right" select="substring($right, 3)"/>
                </xsl:call-template>
            </xsl:when>
            <xsl:otherwise>
                <xsl:value-of select="$right"/>