Re: [xsl] Forcing a blank page

Subject: Re: [xsl] Forcing a blank page
From: Brandon Ibach <brandon.ibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:16:21 -0400
Hi, Ken...

Thanks for the quick reply.

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 10:02 AM, G. Ken
Holman<gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The example below appears to leave the page blank in Antenna House 4.3MR8.

Yes, this example works in 4.3MR6a, as well.

>> I've tried
>> having no region-body in the simple-page-master, but it fails with
>> "fo:region-body is not given" (which I expected, since the spec
>> requires a region-body).  Giving the region-body a different
>> region-name fails with 'Unassigned flow: flow-name="xsl-region-body"'.
>
> Something else must be wrong in combination.  Note that I tell my students
> find it better for maintenance to name all regions and not to rely on the
> assumed region names.

I fixed all of my regions to have explicit names and was still having
the problem.  Cutting the FO file down to just the page sequence I was
trying to get working made the error disappear, so I gradually added
the rest of the content back, finding in the process that my "blank
page" simple-page-master was actually getting used at the end of the
file for a page with just the words "End of Book" on it.

It was this attempt to put content on the page I was trying to make
unable to hold content that was triggering the error.  Since the
page-master was being used directly, the formatter did not have the
option of generating further pages in the sequence until it found one
that could accept the content.  Changing the fo:flow to explicitly
place its content into my "blank" region resolved the problem.

>> Adjusting the margins on either the region-body or the
>> simple-page-master to have zero available space still causes at least
>> some content to be placed on the page, whether overflow is left at
>> "auto" or set to "hidden" or "repeat", though setting it to
>> "error-if-overflow" does cause an error, as it should.
>
> Ouch!  Not an approach I would have thought of.

Well, you know... "think outside the box... er, margins!" :)

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

-Brandon :)