Re: [xsl] Pairing elements according to attributes with XSLT 1

Subject: Re: [xsl] Pairing elements according to attributes with XSLT 1
From: Hermann Stamm-Wilbrandt <STAMMW@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 09:10:57 +0200
Hi,

please specify your sorting criteria completely.
Otherwise we will continue with example, solution, other example, ...

Mit besten Gruessen / Best wishes,

Hermann Stamm-Wilbrandt
Developer, XML Compiler
WebSphere DataPower SOA Appliances
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
Geschaeftsfuehrung: Erich Baier
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Boeblingen

             Andy Kohn
             <andydev@xxxxxxxx
                                       xsl-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
             07/30/2009 09:57                                           cc
             AM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [xsl] Pairing elements
             Please respond to         according to attributes with XSLT 1
             xsl-list@xxxxxxxx
              lberrytech.com

Hi,

I did exactly what you recomended, but the problem is that it sorts it
using the first entity of the 'from', and not the current one.

If you try to run it with this example:

<KeywordsInfo>
 <KeywordsEntry>
  <keyword size="small">z-FirstSmall</keyword>
  <keyword size="small">a-FirstSmall</keyword>
  <keyword size="tiny">z-FirstTiny</keyword>
 </KeywordsEntry>
 <KeywordsEntry>
  <keyword size="small">m-FirstSmall</keyword>
  <keyword size="tiny">m-FirstTiny</keyword>
 </KeywordsEntry>
</KeywordsInfo>

The result you will get will be the following, which is not ordered:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<MainWordInput xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance";
xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="entriesResult.xsd" fromSize="small"
toSize="tiny">
   <Entries>
      <first>a-FirstSmall</first>
      <second>z-FirstTiny</second>
   </Entries>
   <Entries>
      <first>z-FirstSmall</first>
      <second>z-FirstTiny</second>
   </Entries>
   <Entries>
      <first>m-FirstSmall</first>
      <second>m-FirstTiny</second>
   </Entries>
</MainWordInput>

The second pair start with 'z' and not the 'm' one, since
"keyword[@size=$from]" will just grab the first from, and not the
current one.
I'm not able to find how to make it sort by using the value that is
being searched.

Thanks for all the help.

Andy.

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 9:11 PM, Hermann
Stamm-Wilbrandt<STAMMW@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>  <keyword size="small">z-Small</keyword>
>  <keyword size="tiny">z-Tiny</keyword>
>  </KeywordsEntry>
>  <KeywordsEntry>
>  <keyword size="small">m-Small</keyword>
>  <keyword size="tiny">m-Tiny</keyword>
>  </KeywordsEntry>
> </KeywordsInfo>
>

> It shows z-Small as the first element (and not m-Small), since it's
> sorting using "<keyword size="big">a-Big</keyword>", although I'm
> searching from 'small' to 'tiny'
>
> Hope it makes sense, thanks,
>
> Andy.
>
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Hermann
> Stamm-Wilbrandt<STAMMW@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> I'm still stuck with this sorting...
>>>
>>> Can anyone help me out?
>>
>> Just insert <xsl:sort> at the right place, here is where you have to:
>>
>> $ diff -c2 doit.xsl doit.sort.xsl
>> *** doit.xsl    Tue Jul 28 09:38:50 2009
>> --- doit.sort.xsl       Tue Jul 28 09:41:16 2009
>> ***************
>> *** 16,19 ****
>> --- 16,20 ----
>>                     fromSize="{$from}" toSize="{$to}">
>>        <xsl:for-each select="/KeywordsInfo/KeywordsEntry">
>> +         <xsl:sort/>
>>          <xsl:variable name="kentry" select="." />
>>          <xsl:for-each select="keyword[@size=$from]">
>>
>> $
>>
>> You may want to consult the spec (default is " select='.' ") which is
>> exactly what you want:
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#sorting
>>

>> Btw,:
>> I realized that some IBM email gateway seems to modify my submitted
>> stylesheets up to being non-XML. I already got confirmation from
>> xsl-list owner that for the last post I saw this the email reached the
>> list modified. "doit.xsl" is the stylesheet I submitted last time,
>> and "doit.save.xsl" is what I just saved via copy and paste from the
>> old post, here is the strange diff:
>>
>> $ diff doit.xsl doit.save.xsl
>> 2c2
>> < xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";>
>> ---
>>> xmlns:xsl=".http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";;>
>> 3a4
>>>
>> 14c15
>> <     <MainWordInput xmlns:xsi=".
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance
> "
>> ---
>>>     <MainWordInput xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance
> ";
>> 20c21
>> <           <xsl:variable name="fromkw" select="." />
>> ---
>>>           <xsl:variable name="fromkw" select="." />>
>>
>> $
>>
>> Mit besten Gr|_en / Best wishes,
>>
>> Hermann Stamm-Wilbrandt
>> Developer, XML Compiler
>> WebSphere DataPower SOA Appliances
>> IBM Deutschland Research & Development GmbH
>> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Martin Jetter
>> Geschdftsf|hrung: Erich Baier
>> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Bvblingen
>> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 243294

cc
>>             AM

Subject