RE: [xsl] Splitting file into N-sized chunks

Subject: RE: [xsl] Splitting file into N-sized chunks
From: "Houghton,Andrew" <houghtoa@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 17:29:47 -0400

If you are using Saxon you can use the saxon:string-to-utf8(), but that
assumes that your XHTML output encoding is going to be UTF-8.  If your
XHMTL output encoding is going to be UTF-16, then you probably can use
the XSLT string-length() function.

If you are not using Saxon, but using XSLT 2, you can use the XSLT
string-to-codepoints() function and calculate the UTF-8 length based on
the codepoints.  I did that for a project back a while ago that wasn't
using Saxon.

Everytime you output a tag, whitespace or text you will have to keep
track of its length.  Since you will always have a static XHTML header
and footer that wraps your content, you might pre-calculate that length
rather than calculate it on the fly.

Hope this helps, Andy.