RE: [xsl] Diff between Saxon and InstantSaxon ?

Subject: RE: [xsl] Diff between Saxon and InstantSaxon ?
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 20:23:39 +0100
> However on page:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/saxon/
>
> I can download an "InstantSaxon v6.5.2"
>
> What are the differences ?

InstantSaxon is a very old product designed in the days when Microsoft
shipped Windows with a built-in Java VM. It won't work unless you can get
hold of a copy of the Microsoft JVM. However, the SourceForge policy is that
once a product is released, it remains forever available.

There's also Saxon 6.5.5 which is the last version of the Saxon XSLT 1.0
processor. Quite a few people are using that who for one reason or another
don't want to upgrade to XSLT 2.0, but I wouldn't recommend it: Saxon 9.1
handles XSLT 1.0 stylesheets with 99.9% compatibility and better
performance.

Saxon 9.2 is about to hit the streets: the packaging is changed so there are
now three editions: Enterprise (EE), Professional (PE), and Home (HE). The
Home Edition is open source; Saxon-EE is essentially a renaming of Saxon-SA
to reflect the fact that it offers much more than schema-awareness, and PE
is designed as a low-cost commercial product to meet the needs of most
commercial users. I'll talk more about it in due course.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay