Re: [xsl] Japanese/Chinese period

Subject: Re: [xsl] Japanese/Chinese period
From: Tony Graham <Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 20:02:16 +0100
On Mon, Aug 17 2009 18:02:05 +0100, xmlmarkup@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I have encountered an issue where Japanese/Chinese period add a space

About the only time you don't get space after the period is when it's
followed by another punctuation character.  For Japanese, see the
Requirements for Japanese Layout [1].

> at the end of sentences because it is a double byte character. The
> translated data is stored a database. The issue that I am having is
> due to this space the superscripted bibliography references will fall
> on the line below the sentences they are associated with and appear as
> stragglers. The documents are displayed in a two-column format.

You could add a zero-width word joiner before the superscript, or you
could move the superscript before the period, since it's possible that
the formatter would produce better results if it can hang a period at
the end of a line out into the margin.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I've got a plane to cacch.

Regards,

Tony Graham                         Tony.Graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd                               XML Guild member
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/NOTE-jlreq-20090604/#en-subheading2_1_2