RE: [xsl] Creating multiple PDF files from a single XSL-FO script

Subject: RE: [xsl] Creating multiple PDF files from a single XSL-FO script
From: "Mike Sokolov" <sokolov@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 22:27:01 -0400
> > So, two questions:
> > (1) Can I prevent FOP from exiting the batch file?
> > (2) Or, should I be asking this question on another list, and
> > if so, which one?
> >

> Generally, as David Lee showed dramatically in a Balisage
> paper last week,
> using shell script languages to control this kind of
> processing pipeline is
> really bad news. You're much better off with say XProc or
> xmlsh or ant.

Certainly, if the goal is to make the computer process the files faster!

But if it's just to get it to work right now ... adding 'call' to your DOS
batch file is faster :)

Also, it might be a little early to expect support from fop in these tools.
I don't think any implementations of xproc or xmlsh have fop support built
in yet (Calabash seems to have support for a commercial cousin: FEP,
though?); there'd be some not insignificant plumbing to do in order to get
the performance benefit.

Ant might be easier to deal with, not sure if there is an existing task for
fop?

-Mike Sokolov