RE: [xsl] A better xsl:analyze-string

Subject: RE: [xsl] A better xsl:analyze-string
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 22:39:28 +0100
It's true that using regex-group() is a pretty messy mechanism, and it would
be nice to do better.

Things get a bit more complicated if there are groups that can match more
than once, of the form (...)*. It's not clear how that would work with your
proposed syntax.

One of the constraints is that we want to ensure that the facilities can be
implemented on top of popular regex libraries such as those used by Java,
C#, or Perl. These are all very heavily based on the concept of numbered
captured groups, with all their quirks.

I suggest you post this to the W3C bugzilla database as a comment on the
spec, which means it will go on the WG agenda for consideration. The status
section of the spec gives you a pointer.

I think that in many real-life cases one can solve this problem by doing two
levels of matching. For example, you can often do it by first tokenizing
with space as a delimiter, then matching each token against specific regex
patterns. This avoids the reliance on captured subgroups.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay