Re: [xsl] "Higher Order Functions for XQuery" -- static context and focus

Subject: Re: [xsl] "Higher Order Functions for XQuery" -- static context and focus
From: Florent Georges <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2009 12:52:39 +0000 (GMT)
John Snelson wrote:
> Florent Georges wrote:

  Hi John,

> >   I am not sure
to understand what does "the static type of
> > the focus" mean.  The focus is
a component of the dynamic
> > context, and I am not sure "type" is used here
as in the rest
> > of the RECs.

> I think this should probably read "static
type of the context
> item".

  Then the sentence "the static type of the
focus (context item,
context position, and context size)" is misleading, as we
know
the type of the position and the size ;-)  And if we speak about
the
static type of the context item, I guess this is related to
static analysis...
> > I guess I missed the point behind this choice.  Any idea?

> It's for
consistency with the rest of XQuery / XSLT 2.0, where
> the focus (context
item, position, and size) are initially
> undefined in a user defined
function.

  So the goal is to say "the focus in the dynamic context is
initally undefined in the body of an inline function," if I am
right.

Arguments as to whether that's a good restriction are a
> different can of
worms altogether :-).

  I won't take that discussion path right now ;-)
Regards,

--
Florent Georges
http://www.fgeorges.org/