Re: [xsl] xsl:output and xsl:result-document

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:output and xsl:result-document
From: Mike Sokolov <sokolov@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:22:14 -0400
Hmm yes - that is definitely food for thought. I had stripped off the XML decl but wasn't thinking about output escaping. I'll have to go back and use the named xsl:output after all.

Thanks, David and Michael

-Mike

now if only I can figure out how to reply to two messages at once...

Michael Kay wrote:
Thanks Martin and Andrew - these are both helpful suggestions. As it turned out in my case, I was able to output text while declaring it to be xml: I didn't think this would work, but apparently at least Saxon will allow you to output an xml document that contains only text: no elements, which is just what I needed.

If you use disable-output-escaping="yes" and omit-xml-declaration="yes" (and don't output any elements) then yes, the XML output method becomes very close to the text output method. But it seems clearer to use method="text", and there is nothing that stops you using different output methods for different result documents. And relying on disable-output-escaping seems very error prone - the first time you encounter data containing "<" or "&", you're going to find that you forgot to put d-o-e on the relevant xsl:value-of instruction.

Regards,

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/
http://twitter.com/michaelhkay