[xsl] Create a web interface to query a XML database

Subject: [xsl] Create a web interface to query a XML database
From: Manuel Souto Pico <m.soutopico@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 19:07:39 +0200
Dear all,

I would like to explore whether XSLT or any other XML-based language
(XQuery, I guess) would provide an alternative way to create an online
dictionary where the user can send queries to a database and receive
an HTML page with the results.

Using a LAMP environment I can create a webpage in PHP that offers a
search box and which, after the query is submitted to the MySQL
database, generates an HTML page with the results. This[1] is a
rudimentary example so you can see straightaway what I mean (but I'm
sure it's clear enough without examples).

Now I have the term data in one TBX file (which is XML-based). I could
convert that to a MySQL database and create a PHP-based search
interface as I have done in the past, but I thought perhaps it's worth
exploring other ways of querying the XML document directly.

Well, I just wanted to let you know what I intend to you, perhaps you
can advice me some way to go. Am I on the right path? Is XSLT/XQuery
easier or better than PHP-MySQL if my data is already in XML format?
Can you suggest some useful resource for this?

My knowledge of XSLT is pretty basic, but with effort, research and
help I normally manage to do what I need.

[1] http://dvtg.msoutopico.es/

My best regards to you.

-
Manuel Souto Pico
Linguistic Services (en/fr/pt/ca > gl/es)