Re: [xsl] XML to both ODF and OOXML conversion

Subject: Re: [xsl] XML to both ODF and OOXML conversion
From: ekimber <ekimber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:25:03 -0500
On 10/13/09 12:13 PM, "Vyacheslav Sedov" <vyacheslav.sedov@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Our system should generate both formats from custom XML to ODF and OOXML
>
> Need advice about best workflow
>
> option 1 is XML -> ODF and XML -> OOXML (independent XSLT for both formats)
> option 2 is XML -> intermediate format (maybe as mixed namespaces from
> ODF, OOOXML, XHTML, MathML) then two XSLT for ODT & OOXML
> option 3 is XML -> ODT -> OOXML (look like not so simple as expected,
> 3rd party XSLT see http://odf-converter.sourceforge.net/ still not
> work as expected - too many bugs)

I would normally pursue option 2 since it's reasonably easy to abstract from
any word processing format into a generic "paragraphs and inlines" format
that is then an easier map to specific tools' formats. However, that may be
more true when coming *from* such formats, where many details can be
ignored, than it is for going to such formats.