[xsl] Benefits of xsd-types in XSLT

Subject: [xsl] Benefits of xsd-types in XSLT
From: Jesper Tverskov <jesper@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 17:33:05 +0100
Hi list

We often hear that one of the great benefits of using XSLT 2.0 is that
it uses the datatypes of XML Schema, most likely the same datatypes as
input XML and output XML, making type conversion not necessary.

It is easy to understand that the above is important and it is easy to
make up small examples like comparing a "date" datatype in XML Schema,
C# and Java.

But how great a benefit is it really? E.g.: when using XML data
binding, the XML Schema datatypes are, as far as I know, automatically
converted to the type system of C#, Java, etc. Does such automatic
conversion work or must it be fine tuned?

I would like to hear some real life cases, showing that xsd-datatypes
in XSLT can be a great time-saver when input and output is strongly
typed also using XSD, compared with more traditional programming
languages?

Cheers,
Jesper Tverskov

http://www.xmlkurser.dk