Re: [xsl] measuring performance of XSLT stylesheet

Subject: Re: [xsl] measuring performance of XSLT stylesheet
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 14:18:52 -0500
At 2009-11-22 13:03 -0600, a kusa wrote:
Thanks for your input. What little I know about using "//" is that the
processor checks a whole document when a "//element" is used. If we
are talking about a really big document (few mB) this would definitely
slow down the transformation processing time.

Right?

In general, yes ... for example, looking for a section title way down deep under figure captions is a waste of time.

Note, however, that some processors can actually optimize "//" into keyed lookup tables that vastly improve performance. Since they can analyze the stylesheet to see what kinds of nodes are being looked for, a lookup table can be built with knowledge of where the nodes are.

But I tell my students not to rely on that and that any time they think they need "//" to think again because they probably don't unless they indeed want to check every leaf of every subtree of the entire document looking for something.

I hope this helps.

-- Vote for your XML training: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/i/ Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ Training tools: Comprehensive interactive XSLT/XPath 1.0/2.0 video Video lesson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrNjJCh7Ppg&fmt=18 Video overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTiodiij6gE&fmt=18 G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07 http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc Legal business disclaimers: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal