Re: [xsl] Nicer way to change context-node than xsl:for-each ?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Nicer way to change context-node than xsl:for-each ?
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 07:55:35 -0800
On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 7:05 AM, Mukul Gandhi <gandhi.mukul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks, Dimitre for comments.
>
> I was also thinking to propose a simpler syntax, for passing context
> to call-template (as follows, please):
>
> <xsl:call-template name="xx" context="nodeReference">
> B  <!-- template contents -->
> </xsl:call-template>
>
> i.e, we can have an attribute on call-template, instead of wrapping it
> within something like xsl:context (which looks much verbose).

If I were on the WG I wouldn't spend time on this -- this is largely
obsolete, unnecessary, dead.

>> Such a feature is not needed, especially in XSLT 2, where the use of
>> <xsl:call-template> shouldn't be recommended -- why would anyone
>> prefer it to the use of <xsl:function> ?
>
> I think, xsl:function can be only called within XPath 2 expressions,
> whereas, call-template can be part of a sequence constructor. IMHO,
> both are useful.

The use of an <xsl:function> to produce content is simple:

  <xsl:sequence select="my:foo(bar)"/>

>> Even in XSLT 1.0 <xsl:call-template> is not necessary -- one can
>> always accomplish the same with <xsl:apply-templates>
>
> I largely agree. But I think, xsl:apply-templates is kind of push
> processing (and tries to find nodes in the input document, and applies
> the match template on them).

Didn't you know that <xsl:apply-templates> can be used in pull-style
processing? Modes and uniquely namespaced nodes should light a bulb :)

Anyone (who hasn't already come to this conclusion) can find all facts
and conclude that the following is not needed:

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev