RE: [xsl] Format Phone number

Subject: RE: [xsl] Format Phone number
From: B Tommie Usdin <btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 09:48:35 -0500
Which brings us back to Michael's earlier recommendation that you don't hard-code any particular national convention regarding how phone numbers should be formatted.

Actually, I think it is as unhelpful to insist that all users treat all applications as if they were in use world wide as to insist that all users use a local convention. For example, while I applaud XML's accommodation of names in virtually all languages that doesn't mean that an application written for my neighborhood association needs to accommodate street names in Japanese - we don't have any and we know we won't have any.

Based on the information we have seen from this user, a local convention for formatting phone numbers may well meet the need. Reminding a user that everyone doesn't have the same requirements seems to me to be helpful. Insisting that the user accommodate those others without knowing the scope of application is ... well ... as narrow minded as we are telling the user s/he is. And perhaps less well informed.

-- Tommie

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML