Re: [xsl] Modern web site design with XML and XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Modern web site design with XML and XSLT
From: Andrew Welch <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 16:24:45 +0000
2010/1/2 Rob Belics <rob_belics@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Sat, 2010-01-02 at 20:06 +0100, Aad Kamsteeg wrote:
>> Rob,
>>
>> I've done my company's webside full client side xslt (about 4 years
>> ago, still functioning). Worked rather well. You can check
www.diderottrack.nl
>> . As I recall there is a page on "this website" with references to
>> stylesheets, xslt and css. Possibly some functions (displaying hidden
>> text)  are a bit off, but that's a javascript issue, nothing to do
>> with xslt.
>> The build-in language switch relies solely on xslt.

>> Key is design, you have to know exactly what display / filtering /
>> functions you need at what time pr position. But that's not really
>> specific for using client side xslt, it's key for websites.
>>

>> Met vriendelijk groet,
>> Aad Kamsteeg
> Thank you and Alain for your links. Perhaps the only thing I have to
> fear is fear itself (I just made that up) and quit reading the
> complainers and start coding.

I think client side XSLT was dreamt up the same time as XLink and
XPointer... and it's going to follow those into history as
probably-made-sense-at-the-time but in practice and with hindsight we
can see their failings now.  (search xsl.markmail.org for many posts)

If you really do want to go down that route, start coding now, then
towards the end of the project you might be one of "the complainers"
too :)

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com