Re: [xsl] Creating a html <select> dropdown menu in XSL, where the attribute of an XML element is the selected value when page loads

Subject: Re: [xsl] Creating a html <select> dropdown menu in XSL, where the attribute of an XML element is the selected value when page loads
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 15:42:59 GMT
> So 37 seems to be some kind of limit. Is there an explanation for
> this?

you have 37 elements in the source. If you control the source you could
add more elements or you could use
(//node()|//@*|//namespace:*)
which will give you a nodeset of all eleemnts, text, comments,
attributes and namespace nodes, which might be enough.
Or you could use xslt2 in which case you could use
select="1 to 1000"
which is more intuitive.

> 3. And how do I make a menu for years? The "Day of birth" menu starts
> from 1 and goes up to 31, but the "Year of birth" menu shouldn't start
> from Year 1, but maybe from 1900 and go up to 2010.
assuming you can generate a list of 110 nodes, then position()+1899
will go from 1900.

> 4. I understand that "(//*)[position() &lt;= 10]"
can't add anything to what Ken said.

> XPath syntax than the simple expressions used to navigate between
> different levels of nodes?

The xpath 1.0 spec is quite readable really (a lot shorter and more
readable than the xpath 2 spec which is not bad but more complicated by the
fact that xpath 2 is bigger and overburdened with xsd schema typing)
otherwise the xslt faq and the zvon site are too old but good free
sources.

David