Re: [xsl] Modern web site design with XML and XSLT

Subject: Re: [xsl] Modern web site design with XML and XSLT
From: "Eric J. Bowman" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 11:15:53 -0700
David Carlisle wrote:

> > browsers from 6 up have MSXSLT, but you have to call it from
> > Javascript since there's no application/xhtml+xml support in IE
> > (and not likely to arrive before IE 13 at this rate...).
>

> If you are using client side xslt then can't you can just serve as
> application/xml which IE does work, and use the xml-stylesheet pi to
> link to the xslt? The main disadvantage to using application/xml as
> opposed to application/xhtml+xml is that things don't render as html
> by default, but if you are using client side xslt that isn't an issue.

There is no such workaround in IE, that I know of, that doesn't either
break the "back" button or throw the browser into quirks mode.  Calling
XSLT via Javascript keeps IE in standards mode, making it possible to
write a small CSS hack file for IE 6, instead of having to maintain
different CSS altogether to support all versions of IE.  IIRC, though,
client-side XSLT doesn't change the Content-Type of the document with
the XML PI, so if that document is application/xml then its output will
be also, instead of being rendered as HTML -- meaning good luck getting
forms and such to work, even if you can get them styled.  So I stick
with text/html for IE, with a standards-mode DOCTYPE, and the CSS links
are in the <head> of the document the client receives, for performance.

-Eric