RE: [xsl] Word -> XSL

Subject: RE: [xsl] Word -> XSL
From: Emmanuel Bégué <eb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 09:31:16 +0100
Hello,

This is what I understand about what you want to do:

- you receive "templates" from restaurants that designed them
  themselves using either MS-Word or MS-Excel (one restaurant
  sends one template that's specific to its needs and that
  will ever only be used by this one restaurant)

- you want to transform the received files into actual
  templates (meaning a general layout and variables), either
  by using directly Office "Open" XML formats ("Option 1") or
  transforming the templates into FO files ("Option 2")

- once this is done you'll be able to generate "on the fly"
  wine lists using a database of wines and the specific template
  of each restaurant.

You would also like to do this using XML / XSLT.

If the above is correct:

- I would not attempt Option 2 in any case; making an FO
  template from a Word file that may include pics, specific
  and maybe non-standard layout made from amateur designers
  (ie, restaurant owners) is going to be very hard if not
  impossible; it may be justified if there were some economies
  of scale to be made (one template for many restaurants),
  but not here (unless there is some kind of automatic
  Word-to-FO tool that I'm unaware of?)

- Option 1 does not sound great either: XSLT is not a search
  and replace utility (it transforms one tree into another
  tree), and an Office XML file is composed of many files
  in a zip package, that are not very easy to manipulate

- What I would try would be to use RTF; RTF files are simple
  text files that can be manipulated with any ordinary
  search and replace utility:

  - save the templates received from restaurants into RTF
    files, with specific variable names where needed
    (Excel layouts can be first transformed to Word tables
     before being saved to RTF)

  - when generating a new wine list, search
    and replace variable names with new values

Another approach many be to provide restaurants with a
general (and rather strict) layout that they may customize
(responsibly); if it is possible to impose this, Option 2
may make sense, because you'd have to develop the FO just
once; but if you need to give maximum freedom to
restaurants, I suggest you try the RTF solution.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
EB