Re: [xsl] re: Generate identifier

Subject: Re: [xsl] re: Generate identifier
From: Michael Müller-Hillebrand <mmh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 17:50:29 +0100
Vladimir,

I have missed the original post, but the effect of diacritics is quite
different from language to language. Sometimes it is "only" an accent, in
other languages it changes the sound and sometimes meaning of a character.
What is a "Western" language? If you think of European languages, there are
some that do not use ASCII characters at all (Cyrillic, Greek) and your method
will not work.

So I would just drop them or replace them with an underscore. Saves a lot of
energy :-)

- Michael M|ller-Hillebrand

Am 07.01.2010 um 14:27 schrieb Vladimir Nesterovsky:

> Hello!
>
> Proceeding with my original question.
>
> Is there a way to decompose characters like:
> f 'LATIN SMALL LETTER AE' (U+00E6)
>
> into a separate letters?
> Are there many such characters derived from Latin (I'll be calling replace()
if it's only one or two)?

> Thanks.
> --
> Vladimir Nesterovsky
> http://www.nesterovsky-bros.com/
>

>> I need to convert a string into an identifier.
>> Earlier I was using the following function:
>>

>> Now, I have to build a name with only containing [A-Za-z0-9] only.
>> My problem is that I often see characters with modifiers like
>> 00E0 ` LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH GRAVE
>> 00E1 a LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE
>> 00E2 b LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH CIRCUMFLEX
>> 00E3 c LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH TILDE
>> 00E4 d LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH DIAERESIS
>>
>> My questions:
>>  is it acceptable, from the perspective of a western language, to replace
those characters with a character without modifier;