Re: [xsl] Incrementing a page number with xsl-fo

Subject: Re: [xsl] Incrementing a page number with xsl-fo
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 16:49:52 -0500
I need to create a page number in a footer when the work package ends with a odd number that looks something like this:

0001-5/6 blank

How can I generate the "6" onto page 5? Page 6 is blank and doesn't actually exist so I can't seem to reference it with <fo:page-number-citation>.

Is there somewhate I can take the current page number and just add 1 to it?

This is a common request in the classroom from users trying to meet their requirements, and it just isn't available in XSL-FO 1.1.

You cannot do any arithmetic with the page number, nor inspect it, nor do anything else other than present it.

When a customer of mine asked me for the same thing, the best I could suggest is:

0001-5/next blank

... and that satisfied them since it was a requirement to acknowledge the blank page existed but not as much a requirement that it actually be numbered.

Just use a dedicated region for odd pages that are the last in the page sequence.

I hope this helps.

-- UBL and Code List training: Copenhagen, Denmark 2010-02-08/10 XSLT/XQuery/XPath training after http://XMLPrague.cz 2010-03-15/19 XSLT/XQuery/XPath training: San Carlos, California 2010-04-26/30 Vote for your XML training: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/i/ Crane Softwrights Ltd. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/ Training tools: Comprehensive interactive XSLT/XPath 1.0/2.0 video Video lesson: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrNjJCh7Ppg&fmt=18 Video overview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTiodiij6gE&fmt=18 G. Ken Holman mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07 http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc Legal business disclaimers: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/legal