Re: [xsl] Definite list of XSLT 2.0 processors?

Subject: Re: [xsl] Definite list of XSLT 2.0 processors?
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:20:37 +0100
Hi Christoph,

didn't see your message earlier, sorry for a late reply. Have you anyhow published the (disappointing) results of your efforts? What processors, other than Saxon, have you managed to get running on Linux?

Also, to follow-up on my own statements about .NET, Microsoft and XSLT 2.0, I just came across a more recent (2009-11-18) unofficial reply from the Microsoft XML team which is backing up my believe that Microsoft has dropped plans for implementing XSLT 2.0.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1525299/xpath-and-xslt-2-0-for-net

[Begin_Quote]
While XML continues to be a key part of our platform going forward, we have decided not to pursue an XSLT 2.0 implementation at this time. If there is a specific XSLT task youbre trying to accomplish and are having difficulty with XSLT 1.0, please let us know and webll do our best to help.
[End_Quote]

Regards,
Abel Braaksma

Christoph LANGE wrote:
Dear all,

[Michael, sorry that you got the mail several times, I had some trouble
posting to the list]

  recently I made a very subjective review of all XSLT 2.0 processors that I
could get to run on Linux.  The objective was running my XMLbRDF extraction
library Krextor (http://kwarc.info/krextor/), which makes heavy use of XSLT
2.0 features; one might even call it a "stress test".  I also tried running a
set of much simpler XSLTs called JOMDoc (http://jomdoc.omdoc.org), which
convert OMDoc, a complex DocBook-like markup language for math, to XHTML.

The evaluation was biased because before I had only tested the implementation
with Saxon.  In possible cases where Saxon does not conform to the spec, my
implementation might be "wrong", but works with Saxon.  And, of course, the
"evaluation" is quite incomplete, as I got disappointed quickly.

Quoting from an older mail to my co-developers:
I Oracle, but it didn't work and didn't report any reasonable errors. I
even forgot the details. I tried to run Altova XML (using Wine on Linux, as
it is a Windows program), but with Krextor it reported strange errors about
function types and duplicate parameters, and it did not accept the JOMDoc
XSLTs at all. Intel SOA Expressway XSLT sometimes said that it could not
parse the XSLT file, and at other occurrences crashed. My last candidate
was the IBM WebSphere Application Server Feature Pack for XML. This is
actually a plugin for the WebSphere development environment and application
server, but I also figured out how to run it from the command line. Again,
it threw a very strange exception.

Cheers,

Christoph