Re: [xsl] [string to node]

Subject: Re: [xsl] [string to node]
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 23:13:44 +0000
On 21/02/2010 23:06, Aditya Sakhuja wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for testing it out.

The inherent problem is that I get a string, and not a node-set,

No. As stated in 2 previous replies, you get a result tree fragment rather than a node set, or string.

needed by count(). David, ultimately the value in the variable
obtained through value-of is not a node or a node set. Is there a way
you think, I can get the count() fetch me the number of 'dd' elements
using xalan-c processor ?

in xslt 1 you can't directly query into a result tree fragment.
You coud use exslt:nose-set() extension function to turn your result tree fragment into a node set (note if $a were a string you could not use exslt:node-set) however most likely you do not need to create the result tree fragment in the first place.

If you use xsl:variable with select rather than with element content it binds the value selected rather than a result tree fragment with copies of the original nodes.

<xsl;variable name="a" select="//dd"/>

then B#a is a node set of dd nodes and count($a) will tell you how many dd there are in the set.

David