Re: [xsl] Math "functions" for XSLT 1.0

Subject: Re: [xsl] Math "functions" for XSLT 1.0
From: Dimitre Novatchev <dnovatchev@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 10:17:12 -0800
Could you, please, identify the algorithms used (such as well-known
name, link, etc.)?

--
Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:18 PM, COUTHURES Alain
<alain.couthures@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As you know, XSLT 1.0 and XPath 1.0 are now widely supported.
>
> Unfortunately, XPath 1.0 doesn't come with mathematical functions such as
"sqrt", "sin", "cos", "ln",... XPath 2.1 surely will but we'll have to wait to
see it available in every environment.

> Because such functions may be required for graphics generation, a workaround
has to be used. Hopefully, named templates can be defined with XSLT 1.0: a
name, one or more parameters and every XSLT 1.0 possibility, recursivity to be
used instead of loops.

> Algorithms based on B +, -, * and / only are not that easy to find.
CORDIC-based algorithms are not always very precise. Others, such as the ones
for a Javascript engine, are optimized for binary processing.

http://www.agencexml.com/math/math.xsl