Re: [xsl] junit test... for xslt2?

Subject: Re: [xsl] junit test... for xslt2?
From: Philip Fearon <pgfearo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 10:43:05 +0000
On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 9:50 AM, Dave Pawson <davep@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 07/03/10 09:35, Philip Fearon wrote:
>
> Thanks, I'll take a look.
> the terminology has me frowning? 'requests'?
>
> Also, is the idea of testing an entire folder for your own usage?

Ah, yes - 'requests' stems from the way, in this multi-threaded app,
tests are submitted to a thread pool. If a thread hangs, the request
is still counted, but there is no output on which to judge failure or
success. The text logs show how long it took to pool the requests, as
well as the time it took to complete them all, so this was just for
consistency.

This terminology is rather vague and that's mainly because this
application sits (perhaps uncomfortably) between two stools: 1) an
XSLT test harness, and 2) a light-weight XSLT publishing/verification
tool. I'm very open to adopting a more standard terminology if one
already exists or can be agreed. After working on a small
international XML data exchange standard for a few years I've learnt
never to get attached to names themselves, the short descriptions
though will be important.

> Also, is the idea of testing an entire folder for your own usage?

Not specifically for my own usage. I've always arranged my tests (not
strictly unit tests though) in a folder structure, with folders
arranged according to their broad purpose, otherwise test file naming
becomes an issue quite quickly and possibly others use the same
approach. Zip-files are also treated in the same way as folders, so
your test input could just as easily be ePub, OOXML or ODF documents.I
find its often useful to perform most tests at the same time, but
include/exclude file filter patterns can be joined to create a subset
and reused for subsequent testing.

Such folder usage, however, is probably more important for this tools
second purpose: light-weight XSLT publishing. For example, I use XSLT
to check my local XHTML website and update specific parts based on
rules immediately before deploying it, no other code apart from XSLT
is required.

Phil Fearon
http://qutoric.com